Join us for a complete hot air balloon experience in the beautiful Lao countryside near Vang Vieng. Book your hot air balloon flight here and plan your adventure now
Above Laos was initiated by the Lao Airsports Club to increase ballooning safety, quality and qualifications in Laos. We are proud to have issued the first Lao ballooning licenses ever!
We built the balloons you will fly in France, everything is handmade, crafted with care and certified by the DGAC (Direction Générale de l’Aviation Civile) and the EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency). We choose to fly small to medium-sized balloons to keep the pleasure of being able to interact with you and provide you with a qualitative experience.
Every member of the ground crew is professionally trained, with a perfect knowledge of the area, and will make you feel welcome and looked after during your hot air balloon flight!
Languages spoken at Above Laos: Lao, English, French.
Hello, we are Above Laos! A small-scale *boutique* Lao-French hot air balloon company. Our goals: setting the highest standard of safety and quality in Laos with perfectly maintained French hot air balloons, internationally certified professional pilots, attentive crew, and compliance with civil aviation regulations.
Above everything else, we are also passionate about flying and love sharing the magic of being lighter than air.
- European Civil Aviation safety standards, French equipment, internationally certified pilots... and Lao hospitality!
- Pickup at your Vang Vieng guesthouse in our comfortable minivan
- Pre-flight briefing, coffee/tea with our pilot
- Balloon preparation & inflation
- 35 min to 1h15 flight depending weather conditions (we try to make a 1-hour flight but can't guarantee it if the wind takes us in the wrong direction! Safety first!)
- After flight Breakfast / snack back at our Pilot's Café, champagne toast with the pilot and souvenir certificate
- Drop off at your guesthouse or in Vang Vieng downtown
- Total duration approx. 3 hours
- Full refund in case of cancelled flight due to weather conditions
- Pick up and transfer back to the hotel or guest house within the Vang Vieng city area by minivan
- One flight with a hot air balloon
- On site light breakfast or a snack and a glass of sparkling wine
- A flight certificate
Comfortable clothing, trousers and closed outdoor shoes are best in case we land in a grassy or muddy field. Take your camera and a small bag if you want, but no bulky bags or expensive equipment.
Thing You Should Bring
Thing You Should Know
One morning or afternoon flight with a hot air balloon at Nathong/Phonekham Valley, Vangvieng District. The amazing experience is between 30 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes, depending on meteorological conditions (wind, visibility, turbulences, rain etc...).
Balloon 1: size 3000m2, for 4 passengers + pilot
Balloon 2: size 5000m3, for 8 passengers + pilot
Get up early Or not. Ballooning needs stable weather and no thermal activity, that’s why we take off so early in the morning or in the afternoon before dusk. We get to enjoy the sunrise or the sunset as a bonus!
Be prepared! Weather can change, winds can take a wrong direction or thermals can be too strong. Trust us, you don’t want to be stuck on a Vang Vieng cliff. Your safety will always be our priority, so we will cancel any flight we are not 100% comfortable doing. Remember, your pilot in command has a big responsibility and won’t take any risk so please don’t be too disappointed if there’s a last minute cancellation (sometimes it can even be once the balloon is already inflated and ready to go). Of course, we’ll try to reschedule the flight or refund you as you wish.
Term and Condition
- The Operator reserves the right to cancel the flights due to meteorological conditions. In that case, the bookings will be reimbursed to the client in full.
- For safety reasons, the pilot in command can refuse, on his own discretion, a passenger on board if he deems that
- the passenger looks intoxicated, behaves dangerously etc... In that case, the passenger will be refunded.
- In case of late wake up/late arrival that can compromise the entire group flight, the operator reserves the right to cancel the flight for the guest so the flight can take place. In that case, no compensation can be claimed with the operator.
1. Due to limited availability, a maximum of 12 participants can be booked per flight (morning or afternoon).
*The maximum participants depends on total weight of the group and weather conditions.
2. Children must be at least 6 years old and 100cm tall. Children must be accompanied by one of their parents or a relative or legal guardian.
3. Pregnant women are not accepted on board.
4. Cancellation Policy
- 7 days and above, prior to the flight: 90% of the money will be refunded.
- 6 days to 48 hours prior to the flight: 50% of the money will be refunded.
- Less than 48 hours prior to the flight: No refund
5. Change of Dates
- Postponement or changes of dates against requested and confirmed bookings is accepted once, but the client MUST commit to new dates within a period of 30 days from the original request.
- The change of dates must be made at least 7 days prior to the flight and will be subject to availability.
7. Flight schedule
- Morning flight: Between 06:00 and 06:30 depending on the season. The guest will be picked up 30 to 40 minutes before take-off at his hotel or guest house.
- Afternoon flight: Between 16:00 and 16:30 depending on the season. The guest will be picked up 30 to 40 minutes before take-off at his hotel or guest house.
8. Other services
A flight can be arranged for a group of 3 to 12 persons for special occasions as:
- An anniversary
- A pre-wedding photo shooting
- A business or corporate journey
- A press or media meeting
- A product-launch campaign
- Any type of private event.
Please inquire for more information as we will be delighted to tailor any event to your measure. Please indicate your date, timing, profile of attendance, expectations and style of the event so that we can work hand in hand to deliver a valuable and memorable time.
Ballooning is a safe and calm activity and doesn’t require any level of fitness. You just have to be able to climb in the basket and to stand for approx. 1 hour. However, you can’t fly if you’re pregnant or if you have a serious heart condition. If you have any specific health condition, such as knees problems, back pains, vertigo,… please tell the manager or the pilots.